Parallel Universe

A collection of my daily thoughts... most of the time.

3/28/2006

| Work update |

Kind of a slow week at work this week. I've almost finished up the three projects I have been working on recently. The report I had to write is just waiting to be approved and the flownet I had to write is working (running), but isn't producing the results my buddy wanted to see, so he has to take a look at it more closely when he has time. One problem with the flownet I wrote is that I used Cd's of 1 for basically everything. Obviously this would never happen in reality and flownet is converging to some weird result. The problem is that in order for the Cd's to be at all accurate, we would need to do lab testing and experimentation to validate the Cd's (what I am doing for that third project on something else). The problem with that is that we are using flownet to model what we will hopefully see in the lab. It's going to be an iterative process probably.
________________________________________

For those technical minds:
By the way, Cd is the "discharge coefficient." When a fluid is going through a pipe and is then forced into a smaller hole, the air flows over the edges of the hole in such a way as to decrease the area that is available for flow to go through. Since we know that mass flow equals density x velocity x area, the mass flow is affected by this decrease in area from the "regular" area of the hole. This "new" area is called the "effective area" and is equal to the "regular" area times the discharge coefficient.

Aeff = (A)Cd

It is difficult to know values of the Cd for specific holes without finding out experimentally how much that area changes.

That's mainly for dave.
_________________________________________

So the other project should be finished either today or tomorrow. My buddy is going to visit the aircraft engines division in cincinatti all this week, so he doesn't have time to get me going on anything knew.

<< Home